Map to Avoca, Nebraska
16th Annual Schoolhouse Fiddling Bee
Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM
in the Old Avoca Schoolhouse
504 Garfield St., Avoca, Nebraska
Family friendly fiddle contest for all ages.
Contestants should pre-register here.
- GENERAL RULES (which apply to all categories):
- - Each category will consist of one round.
- - Tuning on stage is fine and dandy, and much better than playing out of tune.
- - Contestants may play with one or two backup musicians, neither to be playing the melody.
- - Contestants are encouraged to announce their tunes. It helps to keep the audience informed and awake.
- - Contestants will be judged on pitch, tone, rhythm, presentation and adherence to the rules.
- - All decisions of the judges are final.
- SPECIFIC CATEGORY RULES:
- - Open Division - the fiddler will play three tunes: a hoedown, a waltz, and a tune of choice.
- -- Hoedown: an upbeat danceable tune in two or four.
- -- Waltz: a tune in three.
- -- Tune of Choice: a tune other than a hoedown or a waltz (jigs, polkas, rags, blues, etc.)
- - Singing Fiddler’s Contest - the fiddler will perform one tune including the fiddle and the fiddler’s voice.
- - Twin Fiddlers’ Contest - Two fiddlers will perform one tune together.
- - Fee-Fi-Faux Fiddle Contest - the musician will play one fiddle tune on an instrument other than fiddle.
- - Hocus Pocus Contest - one magical fiddle tune (cross-tuning, sound effects, dancing, etc.)
$10.00 for adults, $5.00 for students, and $1.00 for children.
Contestants and backup musicians get in free.
Followed by a light snack and an acoustic jam session.
Seating is limited.
To be put on Greenblatt & Seay’s emailing list click here.